We could see new versions of the iPhone SE and iPad Air this year, according to a new report from Japanese site Mac Otakara. The report cites case makers as its sources, and says that we may see an iPhone SE 2 with a glass back and wireless charging in the works, as well as a new iPad Air with a 10.5-inch display.
The iPhone SE was a surprise hit when it launched in 2016, offering a more affordable alternative to Apple’s then-flagship iPhone 6S. It’s due for an upgrade, and we’ve heard rumors of a new model in the works before. But this is the first time we’ve heard that it may get a glass back and wireless charging.
The report also says that Apple is working on a new iPad Air with a 10.5-inch display. This would be a significant increase from the current 9.7-inch model, but it’s not as big as the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The new iPad Air is said to be similar in size to the 10.5-inch iPad Pro, but with smaller bezels.
These are just rumors for now, so take them with a grain of salt. But if Apple is working on new versions of the iPhone SE and iPad Air, we could see them as early as this year.
2. What Upgrades Might Be in Store?
We could see some significant upgrades for the iPhone SE and iPad Air in the near future. According to a new report from Bloomberg, Apple is working on new versions of both devices that could launch as soon as next year.
The new iPhone SE would feature a larger 4.7-inch display, up from the current 4-inch screen. It would also include an upgraded camera and processor, and possibly support for Apple Pencil. As for the iPad Air, Bloomberg says it could get a processor upgrade and a new 10.5-inch display.
Both devices are reportedly in the early stages of development, so it’s possible that Apple could change its plans. But if the reports are accurate, we could see some major updates for two of Apple’s most popular devices in the near future.
3. Why These Devices May Be Getting Upgrades
As we move closer to the end of the year, rumors are starting to circulate about what Apple will release in the fall. While we don’t know for sure what the company has in store, there are a few strong rumors that suggest the iPhone SE and iPad Air may see upgrades. Here’s a look at three reasons why these devices may be getting upgrades:
1. Improved performance. Both the iPhone SE and iPad Air are powered by Apple’s A9 chip, which was first introduced with the iPhone 6s. This chip is starting to show its age, especially when compared to Apple’s newer A11 chip. An upgrade to the A11 would give the SE and Air a much needed performance boost.
2. New features. While the iPhone SE and iPad Air don’t have all of the bells and whistles of Apple’s newer devices, they could still see some new features with an upgrade. Rumors have suggested that the SE could get a glass back and wireless charging, while the Air could get a larger display and a faster processor.
3. Lower prices. One of the biggest selling points of the SE and Air is their lower price tags. However, as new iPhones and iPads are released, the SE and Air start to look a bit overpriced. An upgrade could help to keep the SE and Air competitively priced.
Of course, these are just rumors and we won’t know for sure what Apple has planned until it’s officially announced. But, if the rumors are true, then we could see some very nice upgrades to the SE and Air this fall.
4. When Might We See These Upgrades?
We might see these upgrades sooner than we think. According to a report from Barclays, the iPhone SE and iPad Air could see upgrades as soon as this year. The report says that the iPhone SE could get a processor upgrade to the A13 chip, and the iPad Air could get a processor upgrade and a design refresh.
This is all speculation at this point, but it’s possible that we could see these upgrades sooner than we thought. If the iPhone SE and iPad Air do get upgrades this year, it would be a nice surprise for fans of these devices.